Mold growth is a common problem indoors, present wherever there is moisture. It can appear in as little as 48 hours after a water damage incident and can easily spread to other areas of the property if not attended to immediately. This may tempt property owners to perform mold removal on their own, but this is not a safe nor an easy step to take. Professionals such as ServiceMaster of the Upstate must be consulted at the onset of a mold problem to address it immediately and properly.
If you find mold in your home and feel tempted to remove it on your own, here are some reasons why you should rather leave the job to the professionals.
Common Types of Mold Found in Your Home
Mold comes in many colors and species, and can be present both outdoors and indoors. The following are the six most common types of molds found in your home.
- Acremonium – this appears first as a tiny, moist mold which gradually turns to a fine, powdery substance and is often grey, orange, pink or white in color. It is a toxic mold commonly found in household systems such as condensation from humidifiers, cooling coils, drain pans, and window sealants.
- Aspergillus – Aspergillus has a black or green ground pepper-like appearance, and is often located around toilets, air ducts, or on painted surfaces. Inhaling Aspergillus spores could result to allergic reactions that in turn cause asthma attacks, a mucus cough, and a fever.
- Aureobasidium – this type of mold appears as a brown, black or pink patch which turns into a darker color as it ages. It is commonly found behind wallpaper or on painted or wooden surfaces. Aureobasidium has the potential to cause dermatitis when it comes in contact with bare skin.
- Alternaria – Alternaria is a common type of outdoor mold which has a black appearance with a velvet-like structure. It can be found growing on plants, furniture, and in damp places like below the sink, showers, or on window frames. It could cause health problems such as a runny nose, sore throat, hives and rashes. Younger children and asthmatic individuals should be careful around this mold.
- Cladosporium – this mold type appears black or olive in color and is commonly found growing on wood and textiles. Like most mold, it could be found growing in damp areas such as the attic, bathroom and basement. Cladosporium causes allergic reactions like coughing, itchy or watery eyes, sneezing and other symptoms attributing to common cold.
- Trichoderma – Trichoderma is a wool-like mold that appears green and white in color and grows in a variety of environments including carpets, filters, paint and wood. Most species of Trichoderma aren’t classified as highly dangerous, but they can trigger allergies and asthma.
Why DIY Mold Cleanup is Not Advisable
- Mold is dangerous to clean. As discussed above, most molds found in homes pose moderate to serious health risks to those exposed to them. People with compromised immune systems are especially vulnerable to mold exposure. Attempting to clean mold on your own places risks not only your own health but also that of the people around you. It is for your best interest to hire a professional mold removal company to properly remove the mold and keep your health safe.
- The cause of the mold is unknown. Performing mold cleanup without addressing the root cause of the mold will not remove it completely. A mold remediation company like ServiceMaster of the Upstate knows how to locate the source of the problem, including hidden sources, and perform complete mold removal in a professional way.
- The mold type is unknown. Mold comes in different species; some can be harmless while some types are toxic to the health. Only a professional mold inspection and testing service can give an accurate report about the type of mold and the severity of the outbreak. Do-it-yourself mold cleanup is highly discouraged because you might put yourself at risk if the mold you’re trying to clean up is dangerous, such as in the case of toxic black mold.
- You cannot eliminate the entire problem. Most DIY removal methods often fail to entirely eliminate a mold problem and can even make it worse. These instances often disturb mold spores and send them airborne, making the mold spread further and posing health risks. Professionals have the equipment to isolate and contain the mold to prevent further spread, as well as the right cleaning solutions to have it completely removed and prevent it from coming back.
Greenville Mold Removal?
Contact ServiceMaster of the Upstate Today
Removing mold on your own is ill-advised. When your home or commercial building in Greenville, South Carolina experiences mold infestation, call ServiceMaster of the Upstate right away. ServiceMaster of the Upstate has been helping residential and commercial properties in South Carolina recover from mold infestation for over 11 years. We pride ourselves on offering fast and friendly mold removal and cleanup services using state-of-the-art cleaning equipment and industry-grade cleaning products. If you discover mold in your home or business, our technicians will create a customized mold remediation plan to stop the problem in its tracks before it gets worse.
Contact ServiceMaster of the Upstate at (864) 310-7891 or connect with us online to schedule an appointment for mold remediation service. Our Emergency Response Team is on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.