Often, as we end our Thanksgiving celebrations, our minds start to drift towards the coming holidays. Holiday decorations are taken out of the attic and put in their place around homes. You may even have put your tree up already. Thoughts of fire safety are not usually dancing through your heads. This is a joyous time of year and it’s fun to decorate for the holidays. Decorations are festive and beautiful, but remember, if they are not properly managed, they can also be very dangerous and increase the risk of fire in your home.
Here are some fire safety guidelines for Holiday Decorations from ServiceMaster of the Upstate, a fire damage restoration company in Newberry, SC that offers fire damage restoration in Newberry, SC. We have IICRC-certified fire damage restoration technicians in Newberry that have the knowledge and expertise to structurally clean and restore your fire-damaged property in Newberry, SC.
- DO NOT use burning candles.
- DO NOT use boughs cut from natural trees.
- DO NOT place trees or any material in hallways, stairways, or in front of doors.
- DO NOT use straw, straw bales, or corn fodder.
- DO NOT use cotton batting, flock or paper unless the materials have been treated and listed as fire-resistant.
- USE paper decorations sparingly.
- DO NOT connect multiple extension cords together that will overload an outlet.
- DO carefully inspect any electrical decorations having pinched, frayed, or exposed metal parts. Dispose of all defective electrical equipment immediately. Avoid laying electrical wires on floor surfaces to avoid incidents of electric shock.
- DO use only non-combustible materials such as foil, glass, and metal when decorating doors and walls.
- Exterior decorations must be plugged into a outlet designed for exterior use.
Christmas trees are beautiful and can give a festive symbol to the holiday season. However, they can cause fire if not properly cared for.
Following these safety tips will help ensure that you and your family will have a safe and happy holiday experience:
- Artificial Christmas trees should be labeled as being constructed of non-combustible materials. Tree decorations must also be fire-resistant. Do not use electric lights on metallic trees.
- Select the location for your Christmas tree carefully, keeping it away from fireplaces, heating vents, wall furnaces, and other heat-producing appliances that may dry out the tree.
- When you get your tree home, saw at least one inch off the trunk and mount the tree in a stand that holds water. Keep the water level above the cut. The water will keep the tree fresh, thus reducing the risk of fire.
- Do not use lighted candles or other flaming devices on your Christmas tree or near other decorations.
- Exercise care with extension cords. Don’t use more than three (3) sets of lights per extension cord. Do not place the cords under rugs or in paths of travel. Avoid connecting two or more extension cords together.
- When you take down your tree, do not attempt to burn it in your fireplace. Dry trees throw off a tremendous amount of heat and can create a dangerous chimney fire.
Have a happy and safe holiday season from ServiceMaster of the Upstate. At ServiceMaster of the Upstate, we provide you with well-informed consultation and restoration services second to none. ServiceMaster of the Upstate has personnel that will engage with your insurance company and provide the right equipment that will timely redeem any fire-incurred damage both efficiently and effectively.