The aftermath of a hurricane can have devastating effects to businesses and the economy. While business owners in hurricane-prone areas are mostly familiar with basic hurricane preparedness to protect their commercial properties, hurricanes can be unpredictable and leave serious damages in their wake. These include property damage, losses in revenue, a halt in business operations and worse, business closure.
With the hurricane season in order, it is important for managers and business owners to be aware of the steps to take to get their businesses back up and running after hurricane damage. Here are some hurricane recovery tips from ServiceMaster of the Upstate.
Steps to Restore Your Property After a Flood
Before entering your property, make sure that an inspector has determined that it’s safe to do so. Even after the initial storm passes, the dangers of flooding remain. It may be easy to overlook electrical hazards, gas and propane leaks and water contaminants if you are not a professional. If the go signal has been given to reenter your facility, follow the steps below.
- Call your insurance provider to begin the claims process for any major damages as soon as possible.
- Floodwaters often bring in dangerous items, such as broken glass, metal fragments and other sharp debris, which is why you need to wear safety gear such as closed toe shoes, gloves and waders.
- Cover any exposed skin to prevent cuts, punctures, scratches and infection from contaminated floodwaters.
- It’s normal to feel overwhelmed when surveying the damage of the hurricane and flood. Take your time to process the extent of the disaster’s impact.
- Document damages through taking photos and videos for your insurance claim and company records.
- Items that are unharmed or repairable must be removed from the area and stored in a safe, dry place until the restoration of your building has been completed.
- Clear away rubble if the rest of the debris is safe to handle so that you can begin repairs. Perform minor fixes if you can, but don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Find the right professional help
Find a trusted company like ServiceMaster of the Upstate who can guide you through the entire restoration process and help your business recover quickly after hurricane flood damage.
How to Secure More Funding for Repairs
If the area your business is located in is outside of marked flood zones, you may or may not have the coverage necessary to pay for all the repairs your business needs to recover. You can look into:
- State and federal aid
- Disaster relief organizations
- Local resources
- Bank loans
- Private funding