Partying, smoking, and drinking may all be part of homeowners’ lifestyle but could be putting you at a higher risk of fire. Over the years, cigarettes, smoking materials, and candles have caused the most injuries in the 18 to 24-year-old age group. More than half of all accidental dwelling fire deaths amongst this age group occur in the kitchen when cooking, when handling hot substances or through misuse of electrical equipment. It’s important to schedule for fire damage restoration services in Greenville SC caused by fire and smoke right away for many reasons.
Firstly, it’s important to understand that burned areas of the home or office are full of damages and hazards. Even if the fire has been controlled, the danger remains due to smoke. This is because smoke can travel through your plumbing systems, and when synthetic materials are heated they become toxic. Besides this, the odor of smoke can make it difficult for you and your family members to breathe. Therefore, it’s extremely important to call for a professional like ServiceMaster of the Upstate for fire damage repair in Greenville SC, smoke odor removal in Greenville SC, soot removal in Greenville SC to avoid such risks.
There is only one type of fire emergency, the unexpected type. That’s why fire safety and prevention are important habits to develop. But very few of us seem to take fire safety seriously. How long has it been since you last checked the batteries in your smoke alarms? How many times have you moved to a new place since the last time you designated and regularly practiced a fire safety plan in your home? If the answer to either of those questions is that it has been a while, then may we suggest a brief refresher on the most basic fire safety practices? Since fires aren’t known for preventing themselves, below is a list of a few things we wanted to remind you of.
Fire Safety Tips
- Fit smoke alarms on each level of the property and test them weekly.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Never attempt to cook while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Don’t overload plug sockets.
- Switch off electrical appliances, like phone chargers and hair straighteners, when not in use.
- Take extra care with cigarettes and smoking materials.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Check furniture has a permanent fire-resistant label.
- Practice an escape route.
- If a fire starts, get out, stay out and dial 911.
- Keep an eye on smokers. Careless smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths
- Remember:matches and lighters are tools, for adults only!
- Kitchen safety.
- Give space heaters space
Keep portable heaters and space heaters at least three feet (one meter) away from anything that can burn.
Contact South Carolina's Most Trusted Fire Damage Restoration Company
Smoke and fire can do a great deal of damage to your property, plumbing and personal belongings. Once the firefighters leave your turf, make sure to call ServiceMaster of the Upstate at (864) 310-7891 immediately for fire damage restoration services.
We service South Carolina including Greenville, Greer, Spartanburg, Laurens, Newberry, Saluda and Simpsonville and surrounding areas.