Mold can grow anywhere. You may find it in your bathroom, below your kitchen sink, where a leak can go undetected, or in your musty basement. These are just some of the usual places where you can encounter mold, which can be a possible cause of allergy.
Molds are members of the kingdom Fungi. The way they reproduce is different from those of plants. Molds have spores that can travel through the air. These spores can be inhaled and may cause allergic reactions to some people.
Outdoor molds can be found in a moist log or a pile of wet leaves in the garden and can cause allergy during summer and fall. Indoor molds, on the other hand, may cause allergic reactions all year round because you can find them in many usual places, like the basement, kitchen, or bathroom.
There are many kinds of molds, but not all can cause allergies. People who experience allergic reactions to molds have symptoms similar to that of other respiratory allergies, like sneezing, nasal congestion, itchy throat, irritated eyes, wheezing, coughing, and runny nose. Asthma symptoms can also be triggered and intensified by mold.
When you inhale mold spores, the body recognizes them as invaders and produces allergy-causing antibodies to ward them off. In later contact with the mold, the body identifies it. It reacts by releasing chemicals such as histamine, which causes these usual mold allergy symptoms such as sneezing, itchy watery eyes, or runny nose.
You may develop mold allergy symptoms due to some of these risk factors around you.
High humidity indoors
Humidity above 50 inside your home poses a risk of increased exposure to mold. Mold grows best in damp and humid places like the basement, uncleaned grout, and carpets. You may notice that allergy symptoms get worse when you are in a moldy room like the basement.
Poor house ventilation
When some areas in your house are closed tightly, proper ventilation is compromised, which is a perfect situation for mold growth. The area below the kitchen sink is vulnerable to unnoticed leaks, which may lead to undetected mold growth. When this happens, you may need mold remediation services in Laurens SC to take care of your mold problems. Other areas in your home susceptible to moisture are the basement, kitchen, and laundry area.
Flood-damaged home or building
Houses or buildings which have been exposed to excess moisture, such as flooding due to storms or leaky pipelines, are highly prone to mold growth. Professionals expert in mold removal in Laurens SC and mold remediation in Laurens SC must be called to clean up mold growth in hard-to-reach areas in your home. The longer mold stays in your home, the greater the exposure to allergy-causing spores.
For your mold remediation services in South Carolina, call ServiceMaster of the Upstate at (864) 310-7891. We have well-trained and experienced technicians who can remove mold from your house or establishment and bring it back to pre-damage status. We are serving Greenville, Spartanburg, Laurens, Newberry, Saluda, and surrounding areas and counties.