Halloween s loved by young and old alike because of its sweet treats, eerie decorations, and spooky costumes. While you immerse yourself in holiday fun, it’s also equally important not to neglect fire safety, ensuring that the only scares we encounter are the fun kind!
The time is ripe for sprinkling a dash of safety into our Halloween festivities. ServiceMaster of the Upstate is here to highlight the unsung hero of the home, the humble smoke alarm!
Why Install a Smoke Alarm?
Smoke alarms can actually save lives! In the National Fire Protection Association‘s “Smoke Alarms in US Home Fires” report, fires in properties with no or non-operational smoke alarms caused strong>almost three in every five home fire deaths from 2014 to 2018. A working smoke alarm operates as a first line of defense. It can easily alert you when a fire breaks out, giving you time to escape before it gets worse.
If you are planning to install smoke alarms, here’s a useful guide from the NFPA. Here’s a list of everything you need to know about smoke alarms to secure a happy Halloween!
- Always check your smoke alarms (at least once a month) to ensure they are working. Make it a game! Have the kids listen and learn what the beep means in a fun, educational way.
- If you live in a multi-storey home, make sure to install a smoke alarm on every floor. It’s also crucial to install smoke alarms in every sleeping quarter, room, or strategic location indoors.
- Multiple smoke alarms may be required for large, spacious homes.
- It’s best for smoke alarms to be interconnected so that they all sound when one goes off.
- Technologically advanced smoke alarms are manufactured today to accommodate a wide range of fire incidents, and can even reduce false alarms.
- Make sure that your Halloween decorations do not obstruct the smoke alarms.
- It is recommended to replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Once a smoke alarm goes off, take everyone out of the house and stay out. It’s best to create a clear evacuation plan beforehand so everyone knows what to do.
As you dive into the magic of the season, keep an eye on those silent smoke alarms in your halls and rooms. A check here, a beep there, and you’re guaranteed a hauntingly delightful Halloween, free from the tangible frights of fire damage in Greenville, SC.
Remember, should fire damage try to dampen your Halloween spirits, ServiceMaster of the Upstate is here to provide restoration magic.
Contact ServiceMaster of the Upstate at (864) 310-7891 for fire damage restoration in Greenville, SC, and nearby areas. We are available to answer your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Have a happy Halloween!