Even if your carpets appear clean, they can be a host for bacteria, microbes, and other irritants. Carpet water damage, mold, and black mold in the carpet can develop anytime it has become wet and stayed wet for a while without the opportunity to dry out thoroughly.
If your home had some flooding and the carpet was damp for more than 24 hours, you probably have some mold in your carpets. Mold in your home carries many health risks and can be a great deal of work. Take the time to protect your family by making sure your carpet isn’t making you sick.
What Happens if My Carpet is Flooded?
The main risk when a carpet is flooded is mold. Mold smells terrible and can cause adverse health effects. Some molds can produce toxins. While mold exists everywhere in our environment, excessive moisture causes mold to multiply quickly. It is essential that we do not allow mold to grow or exist in our indoor living areas.
Water-damaged items can support mold development in as little as 24 hours. One of the harmful types of mold that can grow on your carpet is black mold. Black mold, technically known as Stachybotrys chartarum, carries many known health risks, which is why you don’t want it on your carpet. These risks include:
- difficulty breathing
- frequent respiratory infections
- asthma attacks
- development of asthma in people previously not diagnosed with the condition
- itchy, watery eyes
Health risks of Stachybotrys chartarum are of greater concern for some people than others, including:
- Young children
- Pregnant women
- Anyone with a history of respiratory problems like asthma
- People with compromised immune systems
How Can My Carpet Be Saved After a Flood?
- The professionals will extract all the water using advanced techniques and, if necessary, they will use weighted extraction underneath the carpet.
- After, they will apply antimicrobial agents to sanitize the carpet, then clean and deodorize it.
Benefits of Regular Carpet Cleaning
- Extends the life of your carpet
- Complete removal of dirt and bacteria
- Eliminates carpet stains
Contact Us for Carpet Mold Removal in Spartanburg, South Carolina
- Over 10 years of experience
- IICRC Certified Firm
- Skilled professional team
- 24/7 live answering service
At ServiceMaster of the Upstate, we are ready to help you move past a flood, and turn the damaged areas back into a valuable part of your home. Call us now.